Parking Permit Questions and Answers

Who needs to purchase a parking permit?
Any commuting or resident student choosing to park a vehicle on the Allendale or Grand Rapids Pew Campuses, Monday through Thursday, 3:00am - 6:30pm  and Fridays, 3:00am - 5:00pm must purchase and display a parking permit.

I'm only taking classes at  Holland, Muskegon or Traverse City Campuses. Do I need a parking permit?
No, parking permits are not required at the Holland, Muskegon or Traverse City campuses. Nor are they required Saturdays or Sundays.

Is a permit required on any campus during the Spring/Summer semesters?
No, parking permits are not required in Student Commuter lots or Residential lots,with the exception of Pew Residential parking lots.  Permits for downtown residential areas are available 24/7 at Pew Campus Security located at 102 Eberhard Center or after hours by calling 616-331-6677.  Parking in Faculty Staff, meters and designated areas is enforced year round.

I have switched vehicles or gotten a new windshield. What do I do?
Parking permit decals are transferrable. Remove the permit and affix it to your new vehicle or windshield. If you forget to move your permit, temporary permits are available at a campus safety office during posted business hours.

Can I return my permit if I don't need it?
Yes, you can return your permit. For a 100% refund, you must return the permit to Public Safety or Pew Security by the 5th day of classes. After that, refunds follow the tuition refund schedule for 75%, and then zero.

If I have a permit for Fall, will I need to buy a new one for Winter?
If you are registered for winter classes, you will automatically be charged based upon your number of credit hours. If you do not need your permit for Winter, you will need to return it to Parking Services or Pew Security by the 5th day of classes for 100% refund.

What if I am only attending GVSU for one semester?
Your permit is charged to your student account one semester at a time. If you are not enrolled the following semester, your permit will be deactivated, becomes invalid and you will not be charged.  All deactivated permits should be returned to Grand Valley Parking Services or Pew Campus Security to avoid improper use of a deactivated permit.  Fraudulently using a deactivated permit will result in confiscation and may result in criminal or university penalties.

Moving to or from living on campus?
Bring your current permit into the Grand Valley Police Department and we will be happy to exchange it for the appropriate student permit.

My permit has lost its adhesiveness. What should I do?
The new mylar permits can be run under water and rubbed gently, removing the build-up. Allow the permit to dry and adhesiveness will be restored.

When can I park in Faculty/Staff spots, meters and Short-Term pay to park  areas?
Parking is allowed in Faculty/Staff spaces and meters after 6:30 PM (excluding HOUSING meters which are enforced 24/7) and until 3:00 AM Monday through Thursday and weekends. You may not park overnight in any of the F/S spaces, short-term pay to park or meters. If you need to leave your vehicle overnight, you will need to move the vehicle to a Residential lot. Residential lots are permit enforced Monday through Thursday, 3:00 am - 6:30 pm  and Fridays, 3:00 am - 5:00 pm. If you have any questions, please contact us at 331-PARK (7275).  Parking is enforced 24/7 in Short-term Pay to Park areas on campus, as stated on signs at lot entrances.

Still have parking permit questions?
Visit The Parking 411 link for specifics on your permit type.

Page last modified June 2, 2016