Educational Specialist in Leadership
Educational Specialist (Ed.S.)
The educational specialist in leadership program provides district leaders with clinical experiences, case methods of teaching, and pragmatic curriculum geared to the specific knowledge required by district leaders and superintendents at different career stages.
Program Offerings at Grand Valley
The program offers candidates the opportunity to expand their knowledge skills, networking, and career opportunities. In addition, it makes for an excellent transition to an Ed.D. program. The Ed.S. in leadership with a cognate in administration builds on the master's degree and develops leadership practitioners for school and/or central office administrative positions.
The degree is 30 credit hours divided into three components: 18 hours in the degree core area, nine hours in the administrative emphasis area, and a three hour culminating experience designed to apply the knowledge, skills, and dispositions acquired throughout the program in an internship/practicum.
The degree prepares effective leaders for K-12 districts whose management and administrative understandings, skills, and dispositions foster quality education for children and youth. A significant number of Ed.S. candidates have received jobs during and/or upon completion of their program as school administrators, central office directors, assistant superintendents and superintendents.
Why Study Educational Leadership at Grand Valley?
- Faculty members who have demonstrated successful practice in their K-12 backgrounds.
- Instruction grounded in theory but delivered in a context of authentic work.
- Accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association (NCA).
- Consideration of family and career commitments.
- Convenient locations. Some classes are online; others are at sites in southwestern and northern Michigan.
- Opportunity to join a network of peers in school administration.
- Flexibility. Evening, weekend, and summer classes make it easy for teachers and administrators to plan their schedules.
“The ed specialist program has provided me with tremendous experiences and opportunities that have truly expanded and enhanced my professional skills. The staff are always willing to help and support you, and they are very considerate of your professional schedules and responsibilities.”
LINDA VAN HOUTEN
DIRECTOR OF STUDENT SERVICES, GREENVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOLS